Slight display delay

A forum dedicated to WPF version of LightningChart Ultimate.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

dataqip

Slight display delay

Post by dataqip » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:38 pm

This is more an inquiry of ideas than a specific problem.

Let me describe the setup first: I have data coming in through a data acquisition device using its SDK, which is fed into the chart. Some computers show a slight, sub-second delay between signal changes and visual feedback. So far, the ones without delay have been Win7 with graphics accelerators (internal/external) with at least 256MB. The delayed ones have been XP and Win7, also with varying graphics accelerators (above/below 256MB).

I'm not having much luck pinpointing the cause to hardware (GPU) or software (OS, drivers, etc.). Do you have any ideas of tests I could try? I realize this isn't much to go on, I'm just trying to find some explanation, if possible.

ArctionPasi

Re: Slight display delay

Post by ArctionPasi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:21 am

Does the data flow smoothly, but delayed?

If it's smooth but delayed, the problem probably is the display device itself.
We just bought a a new LCD TV for presentation purposes (LG 55") and it did have also a long lag in the rendering. That was noticeable when you used it with regular Windows usage, on the screen the mouse followed the actual movement with approx. 0.5 sec delay by using HDMI input. In this specific TV, the problem was eliminated by configuring TV's HDMI1 input to with name "PC" in the TV's settings.

Another reason for the delay is the polling interval you retrieve data from your data acquisition SDK. Slow computers fetch the data in longer intervals, which shows unavoidably as delayed signal on the screen.

The rendering delay in LightningChart side is minimal, approx 16 ms in typical applications. In that delay, the inputted data is rendered in display adapter and sent to the display device (monitor, TV). But of course the delay depends on the complexity of the graphics you are rendering (amout of data), and the power of the PC and GPU.
LightningChart Support Team, PT

dataqip

Post by dataqip » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:08 pm

Yes, the data is smooth. I believe the software is behaving equally among all test computers (polling intervals, etc.). The delay either exists or doesn't. It doesn't appear to slow down with PC performance.

The software supplied with the acquisition device does not show any delay and I do not believe it uses any special hardware acceleration. I'm testing at 100 s/s, so nothing extraordinary.

I will try to test displays, but all are computer LCDs. I don't expect very noticeable delays from them.

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:51 pm

Does the data get delayed more and more as the time goes on?
LightningChart Support Team, PT

dataqip

Post by dataqip » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:26 pm

I haven't noticed it to change over time, but also haven't tested this over longer periods.