Windows App SDK Support

Need a new feature to LightningChart Ultimate? Post it here and perhaps it will be implemented in the next version...

Moderator: Queue Moderators

ddrinka

Windows App SDK Support

Post by ddrinka » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:15 pm

It's great that UWP support has been added to LightningChart. I wonder if Windows App SDK, i.e. WinUI 3, is also on its way. It sounds like UWP is becoming obsolete next year so for building a new application it makes sense to start with the new tech.

Arction_LasseP

Re: Windows App SDK Support

Post by Arction_LasseP » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:35 am

Hello

At the moment LightningChart .NET is not compatible with WinUI3. For the start, LightningChart is based on Windows.UI.Xaml.Controls.ContentControl, while WinUI3 expects/requires something from Microsoft.UI.Xaml namespace. There could be other issues as well. Therefore, to make it compatible we would need to create new special edition of Chart (like WPF or UWP).

However, let’s go one step back.
WinUI may be modern native UI platform of Windows, but it does not expand number of devices LightningChart could reach. As seen from figure below:

WinUI.jpg
WinUI.jpg (36.39 KiB) Viewed 8622 times

With current UWP edition of LightningChart .NET, application could be built for all the same Windows devices.
For those reasons, we are not planning to create Chart edition compatible with WinUI. At least, not until WinUI is finalized and will gain more popularity between users.

Best regards,
Lasse

ddrinka

Post by ddrinka » Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:38 pm

Thanks for the response Lasse. My understanding is that the migration mostly consists of adjusting namespaces, but it would involve creating a new target as you have done with UWP.

I hear what you're saying regarding finalization and popularity. I think you'll see that popularity and demand rise this year as teams begin to realize that UWP is truly deprecated. But I see the wisdom in responding to market demand. In terms of finalization, with 1.0 released in November the product is in full production support. At this point I don't think you'll run into any breaking changes with future releases?

Thanks again for responding. All the best!
-doug

Arction_LasseP

Post by Arction_LasseP » Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:20 pm

Hello Doug,

Migrating LightningChart to work with WinUI is probably not very difficult, of course some extensive testing is needed. One reason holding back these kinds of migrations is that it will increase the amount of coding and testing we need to do. Technically every new feature we do needs to be tested (and partially implemented) on each platform, which would slow down the overall progress if many more platforms besides the existing ones (WInForms, WPF and UWP) are added.

In any case, if UWP becomes obsolete as you say, and WinUI clearly starts to become the preferred platform of the two, this most likely will be done.

Kind regards,
Lasse

adam8797

Post by adam8797 » Wed Dec 27, 2023 6:54 pm

Hi there Lasse,

Any movement in the past year on WinUI3?

We're currently looking for a comprehensive charting library, and really at this point we're just waiting to see if LightningChart or SciCharts gets there first.

Thanks,
Adam

Arction_LasseP

Post by Arction_LasseP » Fri Dec 29, 2023 11:54 am

Hello Adam,

Our current plans do not include WinUI3 version of the LightningChart library, since so far there has been very little demand for it.

If you need WinUI3 charts, there is always an option to order a development work from us. See:
https://lightningchart.com/development- ... lications/

Best regards,
Lasse