Multiple independent axes

Need a new feature to LightningChart Ultimate? Post it here and perhaps it will be implemented in the next version...

Moderator: Queue Moderators

dataqip

Multiple independent axes

Post by dataqip » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:50 pm

I like the support of multiple axes on one view, but all of them respond collectively to mouse interaction. I would like for each to independently respond to mouse interaction as well. For example, zooming/panning while the mouse is over one of the axes will only zoom/pan that axis. (On a side note, collective mouse interaction is still wanted; perhaps when the mouse is over a gap?)

Perhaps you can offer some workarounds for such a feature as well?

ArctionPasi

Re: Multiple independent axes

Post by ArctionPasi » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:49 pm

Hello,

I think you are speaking about stacked Y axis layout. Several Y axes on the left, and one X axis on the bottom.

Zooming only one Y axis:
Press Ctrl to enter Y axis zoom modifier. Then press Alt key down. When you now click over a Y axis space in the chart, only that axis is zoomed, while others remain intact.

Panning only one Y axis:
This is not a built-in feature currently, so it will need handling mouse up/down events and modifier key presses in the application side, and eventually calling SetRange method of axes you want to apply the new range.
LightningChart Support Team, PT

dataqip

Post by dataqip » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:00 pm

(Pardon the late reply.)

It seems part of the functionality I requested has already been implemented. Awesome. Would be nice if it were a little more intuitive, I suppose. For example, when the mouse is over the axis labels/ticks, it only applies to that axis.

As you say, panning could be worked around until, perhaps, some future time when it will be a native feature.

I intend to use the chart control to display multiple independent axes/datasets. Is there a better/recommended way of doing this as opposed to using multiple axes on one chart?

ArctionPasi

Post by ArctionPasi » Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:43 pm

You maybe right, we should make specific Y axis zoom more clear to the user somehow.

In one chart, you can add several X and Y axes if you wish, and bind series to specific axes. Naturally you can create several charts, and arrange them in columns or rows.
LightningChart Support Team, PT