PointLineSeries performance

A forum dedicated to WPF version of LightningChart Ultimate.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

matus

PointLineSeries performance

Post by matus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:03 am

Hi,
I would like to ask if there is any performance difference between using PointLineSeries and FreeformPointLineSeries.
I need to draw lines, that have x-coordinates that go up and down and sometimes, PointLineSeries has problems with it.

So I am wondering, if it is worth the effort to use appropriate series for each case, or I can just use Freeform for all cases.

Thanks

ArctionKestutis

Re: PointLineSeries performance

Post by ArctionKestutis » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:18 pm

Hi,

LightningChart has three types of point-line series: SampleDataSeries, PointLineSeries and FreeformPointLineSeries (see User’s Manual chapter 5.5-7). They are different in a way x-value progressing. SampleDataSeries has strict interval, therefore, storing value is more compact and rendering time is very fast. In contrast, FreeformPointLineSeries have no constrains, therefore, more heavy to render (especially with high data count). The PointLineSeries is in between of those two case, as it have some constrain (x-value should increasing, although not at regular interval).
In summary, please choose Series based on expected data type, because flexibility and rendering speed are mutually exclusive.

In addition, all kind of interaction (point tracking, mouse hit test etc.) is faster in series with more constrains (i.e. not FreeformPointLineSeries).

All the best.