Line breaking: solutions

A forum dedicated to WinForms version of LightningChart Ultimate.

Moderator: Queue Moderators

jval

Line breaking: solutions

Post by jval » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:13 am

Hello,

I use LC for WinForms and have to break line when receiving NaN (as point value) from other application.
The general problem that I mustn't set NaN (or Infinity) to LC. I solve it with internal buffer in my program and don't set to LC values like NaN.
I've asked about approaches of line breaking and got some answers from Arction team (by ArctionPasi in this topic http://arction.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=695 ). I would like summarize these. So in LC for WinForms we have found 3 ways to solve this problem:

1. Use ClipArea. I can't use this feature because it clips all lines in series but I need to clip only line between points (not neighbors, may be from points[5] to points[9]). Because we may have case when order of X values is not only ascending.
2. Use CustomLinePointColoringAndShaping event. I can't use it because in my program I need to break lines with different styles - not only Solid. And this solution looks like low productivity - we use event, LC create buffers for coordinates and colors and apply these when handler finishes it work...
3. Use list of series instead single. I'll create separate series for each part of NaN or not-Nan points and don't show series which keep NaN values. But it's quite complicated method - we need manage styles, Legends, etc. And it is looks like low productivity too - many series, many checks in code and copying buffers.

Could you give me your vision how to solve this issue better? May be I miss some solution? Or may be Arction team is planning to implement some feature in the next version that helps me with line breaking?
Thank you.

ArctionPasi

Re: Line breaking: solutions

Post by ArctionPasi » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:13 pm

There's no way to solve it better I'm afraid. LightningChart doesn't break automatically on NaNs because its high level of complexity in PointLineSeries, SampleDataSeries, AreaSeries, HighLowSeries and StockSeries and their real-time monitoring shifting buffer routines. Maybe we will have resources to improve this later. It would be certainly a useful feature.
LightningChart Support Team, PT

frank

Re: Line breaking: solutions

Post by frank » Fri Oct 23, 2015 10:14 am

Hi Pasi,

I like ClipAreas very much. Helped improve performance of my chart a lot. Wouldn't it be possible, to enhance ClipAreas to limt in X- and Y-Direction? Or would it break performance of the ClipArea-Solution?